If you are seeking access under the Freedom of Information Act 1982 (FOI Act) to documents we hold you need to apply in writing to:
National Library of Australia
Parkes ACT 2600
If you require assistance with your request please contact the FOI Coordinator on
(02) 6262 1600 or by email at firstname.lastname@example.org
You should always check whether the information you are seeking access to is already available through our Information Publication Scheme or in our Disclosure Log.
Fees and charges
There is no application fee for making an FOI request or a request for internal review.
There are no processing charges for requests for access to documents containing only personal information about you. Processing charges may apply to other requests. These charges include:
- time for search and retrieval
- decision making time
- supervision by a Library officer of your on-site inspection of documents
- posting or delivering documents to you
If we decide to impose a charge, we will give you a written estimate and the basis of our calculation.
Making an FOI request
To make an FOI request you must:
- make the request in writing
- state that it is an application for the purposes of the FOI Act
- provide sufficient information about the document(s) to enable the Library to identify them
- give details about how notices can be sent to you (this can include an email address)
- send your request to the Library either by post or by delivering it to the address above, or by email to email@example.com
Facilities for access
The Library will provide copies of the documents you have requested once access has been approved and any applicable charges have been received. Alternatively you can arrange to inspect documents at the Library.
Documents released to you under the FOI Act will also be published online on our Disclosure Log.
If you disagree with our decision
You can request in writing that we reconsider our decision through an internal review. You can also request the Australian Information Commissioner to review our original decision or our internal review decision within 60 days of the date of the decision or 30 days after you are notified if you are an affected third party.
More information on FOI processes is available from the Office of the Australian Information Commissioner.